Sunday, June 14, 2009

Noise in the Bushes!!!

Hello all!

Here we are in West Africa! We've been here for 2 days. It's quite wonderful. We are most definitely the minority. Very few people speak English here. We are going to start our language study soon. We are in orientation for the next 2 weeks. We will head out to the bush soon after that.

The people here are quite wonderful. It's amazing the amount you can understand without knowing any language. I think we often underestimate the power of body language and tone of voice. The laugh and joke a lot. The laugh at us a lot! But it's all good...because we laugh at us too.

We were able to tour the city yesterday with a national and it was a very eye-opening experience. We have all already been proposed to many times. Crystal and I also were able to attend part of a wedding. We sat with the men because the national we were with was the only one who spoke English. It was interesting. We ate our meal out of a giant dish with our hands. We ate rice and sauce. The sauce was a mixture of squash, onions, tomatoes and other veggies with a little bit of meat in it. It was difficult to eat with our hands because it was really hot! I threw rice all over myself and the floor, but everyone just laughed.

As for the noise in the bushes...there a lizzards everywhere! The are probably 6-10 inches long and run everywhere. I'm getting used to them, but when the run through the bushes the make a lot of noise and I jump a lot. It's scary because I'm really scared of snakes and when they are in the bushes you can't see them, you just hear noise.


Well I had better go for now. I'll have internet all day on Saturday, so I'll try to update more then. Until then I love and miss all of you!

Peace,
Krissy

1 comment:

  1. Krissy Cumpton.

    You should know that my heart followed you to Africa, and I pray for you every day. :) I'm so excited to see what Jesus does with the next few months, and I'm THRILLED to keep up with your blog.

    You should also know that Josh asked me to marry him, and I said yes. :)

    I LOVE YOU!!!! Aud

    ReplyDelete